Did you know that white isn’t technically a color, but rather the combination of all colors in the visible light spectrum? This fascinating fact adds an extra layer of intrigue to our exploration of indoor plants with white flowers.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to white-flowering cultivars of Begonia, African violets, Orchids, and a few more species – each with their unique charm and lovely appearance.
And if you need more inspiration for a colorful garden, don’t forget to check our article on yellow-flowering houseplants.
Table of Contents
1. Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)
A tropical beauty, the Hibiscus plant comes with large, trumpet-shaped flowers that create a striking display. While they are most commonly associated with shades of red, pink, and yellow, white-flowering varieties are equally stunning.
The flowers typically measure between 4 and 8 inches in diameter and bloom throughout the year, with a peak season from spring to fall.
Popular white-flowering Hibiscus cultivars:
- ‘White Chiffon’: Large, semi-double flowers with a delicate, frilly appearance
- ‘White Wings’: Broad, overlapping petals with cherry red centers
- ‘Diana’: Pure, simple, yet elegant white flowers
2. Begonia (Begonia spp.)
Begonias are known for both their showy flowers and attractive foliage. With over 2,000 species and countless cultivars, Begonias offer immense diversity in terms of flower shape, size, and color.
White-flowering Begonias showcase delicate blossoms that contrast beautifully with their rich, green leaves. Depending on the variety, Begonias can bloom year-round, with some species flowering more heavily in the summer months.
Popular white-flowering Begonia cultivars:
- ‘Roseform White’: Large white flowers that look like roses
- ‘Giant White’: Features sizable white blooms and dark green leaves
- ‘Alba’: Small white flowers on a compact plant with green, textured leaves
3. Amaryllis (Hippeastrum spp.)
While red and pink flowers are common, white-flowering Amaryllis varieties are equally captivating, adding a touch of elegance to your space. Amaryllis plants typically bloom in late winter or early spring, producing multiple flowers on a single, tall stem.
Popular white-flowering Amaryllis cultivars:
- ‘Arctic Nymph’: Double flowers with a ruffled appearance
- ‘White Nymph’: Large, double blooms in a pristine white hue
- ‘Picotee’: Unique flowers with white petals edged in a fine, red line
4. Anthurium (Anthurium andraeanum)
Anthurium plants, also known as Flamingo Flowers, are loves for their heart-shaped flowers and leaves. The flowers, or more accurately, the spathes, are often red, pink, or orange, but white-flowering varieties offer a clean, modern look. Anthurium plants bloom year-round, with each flower lasting up to six weeks.
Popular white-flowering Anthurium cultivars:
- ‘White Heart’: Large white spathes with a red spadix
- ‘White Lady’: White spathes and spadix
- ‘White King’: Creamy white spathes and spadix with a subtle green undertone
5. Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera bridgesii)
The Christmas Cactus is a trailing succulent known for its colorful, tubular flowers that typically bloom in late fall or early winter, just in time for the holidays. Although red and pink flowers are common, white-flowering varieties can also add a touch of Christmas to your home.
Popular white-flowering Christmas Cactus cultivars:
- ‘White Christmas’: White flowers with a hint of pink
- ‘Malissa’: Pinkish-white flowers
6. Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)
Crown of Thorns is a succulent shrub that produces clusters of small, star-shaped flowers surrounded by showy, petal-like bracts. While red and pink are the most common flower colors, white-flowering Crown of Thorns varieties are a stunning alternative.
The plant blooms throughout the year, with a more prolific flowering period in the warmer months.
7. Cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum)
Cyclamen plants are known for their charming, butterfly-like flowers that rise above heart-shaped leaves. These plants typically bloom in winter, bringing a burst of color and life to your indoor space.
Popular white-flowering Cyclamen cultivars:
- ‘White Cloud’: White flowers with a silvery – gray foliage
- ‘Album’: Pristine white blooms with a ruffled base
- ‘White Pearls’: Large, pure white flowers with a faint, silvery pattern on the petals
8. Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)
Gardenias are beloved for their intoxicating fragrance and lush, velvety flowers. These evergreen shrubs produce large, white blooms that contrast beautifully with their glossy, dark green leaves.
Gardenias typically flower in late spring and summer, with some varieties also blooming intermittently throughout the year.
Popular white-flowering Gardenia cultivars:
- ‘August Beauty’: Large, double flowers with a strong, sweet scent
- ‘Mystery’: Huge, double blooms with a captivating fragrance
- ‘White Gem’: A compact variety with smaller, but equally fragrant, flowers
9. Geranium (Pelargonium spp.)
Geraniums are popular indoor plants known for their bright, cheerful flowers and attractive, aromatic foliage. They are available in a wide range of colors, with white-flowering varieties offering a sophisticated touch to any space.
Geraniums typically bloom from spring to fall, producing clusters of flowers atop long, slender stems.
Popular white-flowering Geranium cultivars:
- ‘White Cascade’: White flowers with a purple-pink center
- ‘Glacier White Ivy’: A trailing variety with white blooms and ivy-like leaves
- ‘Arctic Star’: Upright white flowers with a red center
10. Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana)
Kalanchoes produce clusters of small, star-shaped flowers. Although they are available in a variety of vibrant hues, white-flowering Kalanchoes are particularly elegant, contrasting beautifully with their fleshy, green leaves.
Kalanchoes typically bloom in early spring or late summer, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
11. Orchids (Orchidaceae family)
Orchids are one of the most diverse and captivating families of flowering plants, boasting over 25,000 species and countless hybrids. White-flowering Orchids are particularly elegant, with their delicate, intricate blossoms creating a sense of refinement and serenity. Orchids bloom at various times throughout the year, depending on the species and growing conditions.
Popular white-flowering Orchid cultivars:
- Phalaenopsis ‘Snowflake’: Graceful, moth-like flowers with a touch of yellow in the center
12. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum spp.)
The Peace Lily is a popular indoor plant known for its striking, sail-like white spathes that surround a central spadix. The elegant flowers contrast beautifully with the plant’s lush, dark green foliage. Peace Lilies bloom intermittently throughout the year, with flowers lasting up to two months.
Popular white-flowering Peace Lily cultivars:
- ‘Sensation’: Large, pure white spathes on a tall, robust plant
- ‘Domino’: Variegated leaves with white splashes, complemented by the pristine white spathes
13. Stephanotis (Stephanotis floribunda)
Stephanotis, also known as Madagascar Jasmine, is a climbing plant prized for its fragrant, waxy, tubular flowers. The plant’s pure white blossoms are often used in wedding bouquets, symbolizing purity and happiness. Stephanotis typically blooms in spring and summer, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Stephanotis cultivars and varieties:
- ‘Variegata’: Creamy white flowers with variegated green and white leaves
- Grandiflora: Large, pure white flowers with an intense fragrance
14. African Violet (Saintpaulia spp.)
African Violets are beloved indoor plants, known for their fuzzy, compact foliage and dainty, colorful flowers. White-flowering African Violets provide a charming, elegant touch to any space. Depending on the variety and growing conditions, African Violets can bloom year-round, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
15. Hoya (Hoya spp.)
Hoyas are climbing or trailing plants known for their waxy, star-shaped flowers and attractive, succulent foliage. White-flowering Hoya varieties produce elegant, fragrant blooms that contrast beautifully with their glossy, green leaves. Hoyas typically bloom during the warmer months, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Hoya:
- Hoya bella: Small, white, star-shaped flowers with a touch of pink at the center
- Hoya australis ‘Alba’: Pristine white flowers with a hint of yellow at the center
16. Easter Lily (Lilium longiflorum)
The Easter Lily is a popular indoor plant for the spring season, known for its large, trumpet-shaped, fragrant flowers that symbolize purity and rebirth. The plant’s elegant, white blooms contrast beautifully with its dark green, lance-shaped leaves. Easter Lilies typically bloom in late winter or early spring, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Easter Lily cultivars:
- ‘Nellie White’: Pure white flowers with a strong, sweet fragrance
- ‘Ace’: Large, pristine white blooms on a compact plant
- ‘White Heaven’: Graceful, snowy-white flowers with a captivating scent
17. Azalea (Rhododendron spp.)
Azaleas are popular indoor plants due to their vibrant, showy flowers and attractive, evergreen foliage. White-flowering Azaleas add an air of elegance and sophistication to any space. Depending on the variety, Azaleas can bloom in late winter, spring, or early summer, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Azalea cultivars:
- ‘Delaware Valley White’: Large, pure white flowers with a hint of green
- ‘Alaska’: Abundant, snowy-white blooms that contrast with the dark green leaves
18. Impatiens (Impatiens walleriana)
Impatiens are cherished indoor plants for their profuse, colorful blooms and lush, green foliage. White-flowering Impatiens varieties offer a clean, refreshing look to any room. They typically bloom from spring to fall, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Impatiens cultivars:
- ‘Super Elfin White’: Pure white flowers on a compact, bushy plant
- ‘Tempo White’: Abundant, pristine white blooms on a vigorous plant
- ‘Accent White’: Elegant white flowers with a slightly ruffled appearance
19. Gloxinia (Sinningia speciosa)
Gloxinias are known for their large, velvety, bell-shaped flowers and attractive, fuzzy foliage. White-flowering Gloxinia varieties add a touch of sophistication and grace to any space. Gloxinias typically bloom in late spring or early summer, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Gloxinia cultivars:
- ‘Mont Blanc’: Pristine white flowers with a slight ruffled edge
20. Night-blooming Cereus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum)
The Night-blooming Cereus is a unique, climbing cactus that produces large, fragrant, white flowers that open only at night. The plant’s stunning, short-lived blooms create a sense of mystery and intrigue.
Night-blooming Cereus typically flowers in late spring or early summer, with blooms lasting for just one night.
21. Fuchsia (Fuchsia spp.)
Fuchsias are popular indoor plants known for their delicate, pendulous flowers that resemble dancing ballerinas. White-flowering Fuchsia varieties create a sense of elegance and purity, contrasting beautifully with the plant’s green foliage.
Fuchsias typically bloom from late spring to early fall, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Fuchsia cultivars:
- ‘White King’: Pure white, double flowers with a full, ruffled appearance
- ‘Hawkshead’: Elegant, white, single blooms with a slight curl to the petals
- ‘Snowcap’: Vivid red and white flowers
22. Plumeria (Plumeria spp.)
Plumeria, also known as Frangipani, is a tropical plant known for its fragrant, waxy flowers that are often used in Hawaiian leis. White-flowering Plumeria varieties offer an elegant touch to any indoor space. Plumeria typically blooms in summer, with flowers lasting for several weeks.
Popular white-flowering Plumeria cultivars:
- ‘Celadine’: Classic white flowers with a yellow center and a strong, sweet fragrance
- ‘Singapore White’: Pristine white blooms with a hint of yellow at the center
- ‘Dwarf Singapore Pink’: Despite its name, this cultivar produces delicate, white flowers with a pale pink center
We hope this list of indoor plants with white flowers has inspired you to bring these charming blooms into your home. Each plant featured in our series offers its own unique beauty and elegance, creating a harmonious and tranquil environment.